Monday, March 26, 2012

Angry Birds Birthday

So my little R-Man had a birthday....he is now 6!  Can't believe it!  He is one spunky little kid, and he is always cracking these one liners that have my husband and I rolling.  Life is never boring with this guy around!  He came to me several months ago and declared that he wanted a "REAL LIFE Angry Birds cake."  So that immediately intimidated me.......That meant I had to come up with a cake that flings a bird through the air and knocks over a structure made out of boards.  Hmmmmmmmm...........  Luckily I figured out something, and to say the least...... It was a HUGE success.  I had one happy boy!!!!

Do you want to see?


Nothing beats the smile on your child's face when they see a cake that you created for them.  I am in no way shape or form a professional, or would I say I have a "talent" for making cakes, but I have fun trying.  That is why I do it. (Oh, and for my kids, as well!)

 Here is R-man blowing out the candles.  He did it in one try!  Hope his wish comes true!

Here is how I did it.

(I must apologize in advance, because I don't have pictures of all of the steps of putting it together.  I am having some serious issues with my camera and it is not saving all of my pics that I take.  I am just glad that I have the pictures I have.)

1.  Bake 1 cake in a 9 X 13.
2.  Bake another cake in a jelly roll pan. (That is a cookie sheet with sides on it.)
3.  After you have let the cakes cool, remove the cake from the 9 X 13 and cut into 3 even strips the short way.
4.  Take one of the strips you just cut from the 9 X 13 cake and set aside.  Place the other two at opposite ends of the cake.
5.  Now take the piece you just set aside and cut about 1 1/2" off both sides.  Place the trimmed piece on top of one of the the pieces that are on the end. and then take one of the 1 1/2" pieces you just cut off and place right in front and in the middle of the two stacked pieces.  This will be the "Pig's side" of the cake.
6.  Frost it green.
7. Now use some chocolate wafer cookies to build the Pig's side of the cake.
8.  I piped some grass with frosting that I tinted a little darker green just to give it a little more detail.
9. I bought the Angry Birds board game and placed all of the little characters and the slingshot that came with it on the cake.
10.  Sit back and watch your birthday boy or girl smile from ear to ear!

Wish my camera had saved the pictures of the kids flinging the birds!  I guess that means the purchase of a new camera will be in my future........(sigh.)

No comments:

Post a Comment