Thursday, January 26, 2012

Memory T-shirt Pillow


Do any of you have a favorite T-shirt? I do....I have two. I got them about 4 years ago when my Hubby and I went to Hawaii. (I am one of those people......you know the ones who buy a T-shirt that has the place they vacationed on it? Yep. That is me!) I love these two shirts. I sleep in them, clean in them, do yard work in them, and have the occasional late night grocery run in them. But the thing that I love most about them is the memories they bring back of that AWESOME vacation with my sweetie! But sadly, they are starting to see the end of their life.....so I thought I would re-purpose one of them into a memory pillow!

Here is my favorite T-shirt:

Here is why I just plain old have to stop wearing it:
(Thanks to my five year old for modeling! Better his armpit than mine!)

Okay- Let's get started! If you made the pot holder this will be a breeze!

Step 1:

Cutting your T-shirt

-Measure what part of the T-shirt you would like to cut out. I had to cut them in two separate pieces because the picture I wanted to include on the back didn't line up with the stuff on the front of the shirt. If your T-shirt is blank in the back just cut them both out at the same time.)

-My measurements were 15" X 11" (Depends on how big your shirt is and how big you would like your pillow.)
Step 2:

Sewing it together.

Place the right sides of the fabric together and pin all the way around. Leave about a 3"- 4" gap so you can turn it right side out. I tried to mark where I wanted to leave it open with my fabric marker. It is kind of hard to see, but you get the idea.

Sew with a 1/4" - 1/2" seam allowance, depending on how much fabric you have to work with.

Step 3:

Trim around your corners and turn your pillow right side out. Push out the corners.
Step 4:

Stuff with Poly-fill.

I used the cheap stuff from Walmart, but you might want to use the nicer stuff so it isn't too lumpy.
Step 5:

Blind stitch it closed.......Okay don't get scared. I didn't know how to do it either until I asked for help. Thanks to my dear sweet neighbor who loves to sew, she told me how to do this. EASY. that is how I describe it!

Here we go:

Get your sewing needle and thread it. Tie a knot at the end of the string. Insert the needle directly under and to the side of the place where you stopped sewing with your sewing machine.

Like this:
Next insert the needle in and out of the fabric on the opposite side where you inserted the needle:
Now do the same thing on the other side. Make sure you are inserting your needle right by where the thread is coming out. This will keep it nice and snug and clean looking.
Remember to keep your fabric turned under as you sew.

When you get to the end gently pull the thread so it pulls the seam nice and tight.

Here is a picture before I tightened it up:
After I tightened it up:
(Not the best picture...but you get the idea.)
Now you are left with your needle and string. Simply knot your sting right next to the end of your blind stitch, insert your needle into your pillow and have it come out a few inches away toward the center.


Pull the thread tight, trim it off with scissors right where it comes out of the pillow. Be careful not to accidently cut the fabric!

Your sting should pull back into the pillow and you now have a beautiful memory T-shirt pillow!

No comments:

Post a Comment